RNLI Busy Over Easter

RNLI crews around the UK have been reporting a busy Easter as they assisted yachts, motor cruisers, jet skiers and people on the cliffs and ashore.

On Easter Monday, at 11.48 a launch request was received from Falmouth Coastguard Station on Pendennis Point, for the Falmouth RNLI ALB to go to the assistance of a Motor Cruiser that had broken down off Dodman Point.

The ALB slipped her moorings at 12.00 approximately and headed out of the harbour at speed and then turned to the east on a heading for Dodman Point. Approximately 20 minutes later the casualty was sighted and she turned out to be the

'Storm Vulcan', a twin engined motor cruiser. The sea state was moderate to rough, with poor visibility and driving rain. 'Storm Vulcan' had lost one engine completely and was having trouble managing on the remaining one. It was thought that the engine problems had possibly been caused by contaminated fuel. Some of the crew were suffering from seasickness and weather conditions were not the best, so having stood by the vessel for some time the coxswain of the lifeboat decided that the best solution was to tow 'Storm Vulcan' back to harbour. By 14.15 approximately the casualty was safely tied up in Mylor Yacht Harbour and the lifeboat was released back to station.

Exmouth RNLI volunteer crew were called out five times at the weekend.

On Friday 10th April, while the Mersey class all weather lifeboat (ALB) was on exercise, a mayday call was made at 7.32pm from a man on board a 17ft Dory boat. He reported electrical problems. There were 4 persons on board, 2 adults and 2 children. By the time the lifeboat reached the Dory in the Exe Estuary, the skipper had managed to tow it to the shore at the Recreation Ground.

On Saturday 11th April. Portland Coastguards received a distress call from a person on board a speedboat near Sandy Bay. The line cut out before the call finished and so not knowing the extent of problem, both boats were launched at 2.04pm to investigate. The volunteer crew found the broken down speedboat near Littleham Cove with 4 persons on board. The inshore lifeboat (ILB) towed the speedboat back to Shelley Beach, Exmouth.

On Saturday 11th April 2009 at 3pm the crew launched to assist a fishing boat in trouble at the west end of Cefn Sidan beach. The boat had lost engine power and was in difficulty in surf.

The boat capsized and the three man crew were thrown into the water and were able to make their own way ashore. The lifeboat recovered the boat and towed it to the beach to the owner.

On Sunday 12th April 2009 at 3:13pm the volunteer crew at the RNLIs lifeboat stations at Burry Port and Tenby launched to assist a fishing boat, with two people on board, in difficulty at the west end of Cefn Sidan Beach. The boat had suffered a damaged prop and had lost propulsion and was unable to get out of the surf near to the beach.

The Tenby All weather lifeboat was able to tow the fishing boat into deep water where on of the crew was transferred into Burry Port Inshore-lifeboat and taken ashore. The second person remained on the boat, which was taken in tow to Burry Port where it was recovered onto to its trailer.

Date Added - 14-Apr-2009

Contact Us Terms Of Use - copyright Harpsden Ventures Ltd (2008) Sitemap Development Log Limits On Use Useful Links